Sustainable South Sound (SSS) is composed of a devoted group of volunteers who are committed to improving the quality of life in the South Puget Sound region. Members include those interested in discussing the challenging questions facing our community:
- How can we share prosperity in the 21st century?
- How much growth is sustainable – are there options?
- How can we measure sustainability?
- How can we address global warming at the community level?
- How can we promote social justice? How can we protect and support our local farmers?
- How can we educate the community on systems thinking?
- How can we create safe living and learning environments for our children?
Our board and membership are diverse and are comprised of students, business men and women, artists, physicians, teachers, farmers, scientists, and parents who share the common vision of working toward a better future for our families and future generations. All members of the community are welcome to join SSS. We welcome, honor, and cherish diversity.
Our programs include:
Buy Local increases awareness of the environmental, economic and social benefits of spending money at local, independently owned businesses. Produces the Our Money Matters Local Savings Book which can be purchased at many Olympia locations and gives great savings all year round!
Local Food Systems
Local Food Systems seeks to increase the amount of food grown on private property and public space by advocating for changes to public policy, providing information and resources, and building a vibrant network of urban farmers.
The Indicator Project has been exploring and publishing indicators of community sustainability for more than seventeen years with significant public input and collaboration with a variety of sustainability organizations. The project uses environmental, economic and social indicators to assess the health and quality of life in our community.