The Puget Sound Estuarium was founded by the South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) in 2007. We encourage community members to EXPLORE animals and plants in their local estuaries, where freshwater and saltwater meet. We CONNECT people of all ages to what is unique about this delicate, vibrant ecosystem. Our educational opportunities INSPIRE individuals to take better care of our shared natural resources.
In 2010, we were granted federal 501 (c) (3) status and have been registered since 2007 as a non-profit corporation with Washington Secretary of State. South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) DBA Puget Sound Estuarium is also registered as a Washington state charity.
Our mission is to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of Puget Sound.
An educated community that is engaged and inspired to promote the ongoing health, conservation, and restoration of south Puget Sound.
- The Beach Naturalist program – trained volunteers offering beach interpretation of intertidal life at local beaches during summer low tides.
- Puget Sound Estuarium – a marine life discovery center with saltwater aquariums and interpretive displays.
- Youth Education Programs – connecting youth with the health of Puget Sound through marine and estuary education programs.
- Community Outreach – educational booths at community events/festivals/fairs, and presentations to local groups.
- Discovery Speaker Series – an evening speaker series hosted by LOTT’s WET Science Center.
- Pier Peer at Boston Harbor Marina – night time underwater viewing of marine life.
- Cruising for the Sound – a yearly fall on-the-water fundraiser.